Owe the IRS Back Taxes? Here’s What to Do!

When you disregard or refuse to pay a tax obligation, the government will have a legal claim against your property known as a federal tax lien. The government’s interest in everything of your possessions, including real land, personal property, and financial assets, is safeguarded by the lien. Stressful to owe taxes, especially if you can’t pay them in time. Most of the time, tax evasion results in interest or fines rather than prison time. You should still submit your return or at the very least request a six-month extension even if you can’t make payment by tax day. After that, consider your alternatives for making the IRS payment that you owe. 

If you are unable to pay your tax obligation, you might be unsure if you need to file a return. But this is the most crucial component. To avoid the failure to file penalty, you should file your return or a request for an extension. Up to a maximum of 25% of unpaid tax, this penalty is equal to 5% of the outstanding sum, every month or portion thereof. 

The IRS typically has three years from your filing date, including extensions, to inform you of taxes outstanding. The IRS typically has 10 years from the date of initial notification to complete the collection of back taxes


Taxpayers can create IRS instalment agreements, which are payment schedules. The kind of arrangement you qualify for will depend on your circumstances, including how much you owe and when you can make the remaining payments. If you can pay the sum in full within 120 days, you shouldn’t set up an instalment arrangement. Additionally, you may hire a specialist to analize your problem and choose the best course of action. The IRS provides choices, such as the presently not collectable status and the offer in compromise, for persons who are in difficult situations. You will only be eligible for a hardship extension if you can demonstrate that, according to IRS financial guidelines, paying the tax you owe would put you in a difficult financial situation. 

For someone who requires additional time to pay, the IRS may approve a short-term agreement, long-term payment plan, or instalment arrangement. If your total debt, including interest and penalties, is less than $100,000, you could be eligible for a short-term payment option. You do not have to pay on a monthly basis, but you must pay the full amount by the agreed-upon payment date. There is no setup fee or any extra charge to use this option. You can ask for a long-term payment option if your total debt, which includes your unpaid tax bill, penalties, and interest, is less than $50,000. With this choice, you can extend the length of your monthly payments over 120 days. 

In spite of everyone’s best efforts, some people actually wind up owing money when they pay their taxes each year. Fortunately, there is a wise method to handle this situation. 

You can get assistance from a financial expert in deciding how to handle your taxes. Here are some things to avoid doing if you wish to prevent long-term aggravation of the condition. You might believe that the wisest course of action is to just not file a return at all if you owe taxes and you are unable to pay them. However, that’s not a wise move. You get an extra six months to finish your return if you ask for an extension. 

Really, the IRS would like not to have to pursue you in order to collect the debt. The IRS provides qualified individuals up to 72 months to pay off their whole tax burden. Remember that until the debt is paid off, interest and penalties will keep accruing. The IRS may deduct those payments from what you owe if you receive a refund in any later tax years that you are enrolled in the plan and are entitled to a refund. The IRS has other tools at its disposal to make you regret not paying your taxes, in addition to fines and interest. For instance, having your passport revoked might interfere with your trip plans. In the worst instance, the IRS may encumber your assets or deduct money from your paycheck. Knowing what’s at risk may inspire you to make the payment. You might be considering taking on extra debt if you don’t have enough cash on hand to pay your tax obligation. 

Consider seeing a financial expert or tax consulting firms for assistance with taxes and any other kind of financial queries. Finding a competent financial advisor need not be difficult. 

Knowing what taxes you owe in advance is usually a smart idea. Keep all of your receipts for at least a few years after filing if you intend to itemize. The IRS frequently examines tax returns that were filed three to six years earlier to the return that is currently under audit. It is in everyone’s best interest to file and pay federal taxes on time. Consider one of the IRS’s payment arrangements if you are unable to pay the entire amount owing at the time of filing. These consist of: a promise to pay during the next 10 days, a quick repayment schedule with 11–120 days for payment, or an instalment arrangement that calls for regular payments of the outstanding sum. 


You will get a letter in the mail from the IRS if you owe overdue taxes. To protect yourself from con artists, keep in mind that the IRS will never approach you through email, text, first phone call, or social media. Once you log in, you may check your tax records, pay your debt, and obtain a breakdown of your liabilities by tax year. Calculating back taxes may be as easy as filing or revising a tax return from the prior year. Most importantly, never disregard an IRS notification. Tax advisory services– Tax experts advise that before taking any action, you should verify and double-check how much you owe using a few of the ways mentioned above to be sure you have the exact amount.


Mr. Joshua A. Webskowski

Joshua specializes in successfully resolving cases in all areas of tax resolution including liens, levies, & other IRS collections cases.

Previous Post
Stressed About Tax Problems? Learn How to Resolve Them!
Next Post
You might also like

More Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed


    Get In Touch

    Are you being Audited by the IRS?

    By signing up via text, you agree to receive recurring automated marketing messages, including cart reminders, at the phone number provided. Consent is not conditon of purchase. Reply STOP to unsubscribe. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Your Privacy is our priority. Your information will not be shared.